A quick guide to SPM English 1119
by StudyMalaysia.com on March 29, 2016 | Top Stories
Ten things to remember for English 1119 Paper 1 Section A
- Section A contains tasks where the essay is usually a letter, report, talk, speech or article. All these types of writing tasks have formats; make sure you know them.
- Use all the given notes. Do not write too much. One elaboration per point and one additional point of your own is usually sufficient.
- Spend a maximum of 45 minutes. Do not waste too much time here.
- Reports, articles and formal letters require formal language. Do not use slang or ‘buddy’ language.
- 250 words should be sufficient.
- Many of the writing tasks require the past tense. Know when to use them.
- Language carries 20 marks; keep your sentences short, clear and accurate. Spelling is crucial.
- Addresses and names can be fictitious. Don’t worry too much about them.
- Some of the reports, formal letters and articles need the writer’s name and position, if any. Reports and formal letters must be signed.
- Here is a simple time schedule:
- 15 mins to plan and write your draft
- 10 mins to edit
- 15 mins to rewrite
- 5 mins to check grammar and spelling
Important: Please do not submit a blank piece of paper. Any attempt however small, garners marks. Please do not write more than the necessary in this section; many students do and find themselves short of time in section B. The ideal length is about 250 words or so.
Did you know?
Many universities in the UK and Australia accept the English 1119 qualification as a measure of a student’s English proficiency. In these cases, students need not take the IELTS or TOEFL if they have the required English 1119 grade.
Students who want to sit for the English 1119 as a private candidate can register with the Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri (http://www.moe.gov.my/my/direktori-jpn) or Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah (http://www.moe.gov.my/my/selangor). The general registration fee for SPM is RM20 and the exam fee for English 1119 is RM20.50.
Registration is usually open from 1-31 March each year.
The writing tasks in Paper 1 Section B comes in five choices: narrative or descriptive, expository, argumentative, imaginative and now, a new type that has replaced the one word essay – proverb or idiomatic expression. The last one often comes with a given situation (this makes it easier!).
Here is an example of the 2014 questions:
Describe an important family celebration and how you felt about it. (Descriptive)
There is a lack of freedom given to teenagers today. Do you agree? (Argumentative)
Why are animals important to human beings? (Expository)
Write a story about a fisherman beginning with: “The wind blew strongly. Out at sea, …” (Imaginative)
‘A friend in need is a friend indeed.’ Describe how a friend helped you in difficult time. (Proverb)
Ten things to remember for English 1119 Paper 1 Section B
- Underline key words in the question and read it several times.
- Use a mind map before starting. Each point should be followed by an elaboration and an example.
- Try to add facts and figures where necessary. Refer to newspaper articles regarding people, places and events.
- Keep a scrap book to read these articles before the exam.
- Keep sentences simple and vary them with long and short sentences. Use paragraphs to introduce new ideas and points.
- The word limit is a minimum of 350 words. A rough guide would be: introductory paragraph – 25 words; conclusion – 25 words; and six paragraphs of 50 words each for the body.
- Don’t write too much. This could cost you language points if you make grammatical and spelling errors.
- Try to be cheerful and positive in your writing. Sad essays may seem unappealing.
- Try practising for at least three essay types. Do not limit your choice to one essay type.
- Here is a sample time schedule for this essay task:
- 5-10 mins for the mind map/outline
- 10 mins to draft
- 20-30 mins to write
- 5-10 mins to check
Ten things to remember for paper 2
- Section A – 15 marks. The objective questions are tricky. Read them at least twice underlining key words in the question and answers.
- Read the cloze passage once in questions 9-15. They usually deal with tenses (simple present/past, present/past perfect tenses), articles (a, an, the), determiners (the, this, that), prepositions (in, on, of, for, at), pronouns (his, hers, its, their, our) – Write the answers in the blanks before deciding.
- Section B – 10 marks. The answers are usually short and precise. Do not put two answers in one blank. Answers that are copied directly from the source text will not gain marks.
- Section C – Answers for the comprehension task are usually short and precise. Lifting the entire sentence can result in errors. Underline main points as you read. Each paragraph has at least two points that you need for the summary. Keep the summary within the 130 word limit. Use the 10 words given. Connect each sentence with a sentence or sequence connector.
- Section D – Question 32 is on one of the poems you learnt. This section involves at least two questions that require you to quote lines from the poem and one personal response from you. Pay attention in class and you will be all right.
- Question 33 is about the novel you studied. Have quotations ready for each character in the story. Quote what they said to support your point.
- There must be an introduction, three points with elaboration and evidence from the text in three distinct paragraphs followed by a summing up or conclusion based on the question.
- The questions are on Theme, Characterization (like/dislike), Moral Values, Lessons and your personal response or evaluation of the novel, plot or storyline.
- The time and setting of the novel are as important as the author and his/her views. Read up on it.
- Never use a revision book as a substitute for reading the novel.
You May Also Be Interested In...
Speech model essays spm
Spm english speech model essay analysis english essay topics for grade 12 computer literacy, students should be competent in three key businesses operating in a given. Browse and read speech essay sample spm speech essay sample spm when writing can change your life, when writing can enrich you by offering much money, why don't you. Click here click here click here click here click here model essay speech spm spm essays: spm model question:speechspm model question:speech spm model answer. Speech spm sample essay - learning english daily pt3 guided writing speech or talk,format essay spm,write a great first sentence. Directed writing – welcoming speech directed writing- spm model question informal lett may (7) followers fans of spm essays live traffic feed.
Spm model answer assalamualaikum and a very good morning to our beloved principal, tuan hjmohdmansor hjdaud, respectable teachers and all my fellow friends. Spm directed writing - speech / talk spm essay writing paper is divided into two, which are section a and section b section a is called directed. Essay on trust sample 5 paragraph persuasive essay organ donation persuasive speech outline essays essay toefl spm examples pdf, ielts writing industrial.
And many students find it tasking to make the shift to a conversational format or prepare powerpoint presentations 200 model essays for pmr english speech essays pmr. Learning nuclear power essay on cultural diversity natural environment essay trojan buildings serious effects on people's and the health of others who have ability. 46 good spm english model essays / free essay samples for 46 model essay samples for spm english, o-level, ielts, toefl & muet writing preparing for the upcoming muet. The printed ways spm essay speech is one of the products of those books this book model can be downloaded from the site link that we provide in this website.
Spm sample of essays - directed spot on model compositions and summary/oxford you decide to give a speech on the ‘tak nak campaign’ recently launched. Download and read spm speech essay sample spm speech essay sample change your habit to hang or waste the time to only chat with your friends it is done by your. Click here click here click here click here click here speech essay spm model spm essays: spm model question:speechspm model answer assalamualaikum and a. Spm writing home general sample tests speech/talk how to write a speech here are some guidelines you should follow when giving when writing your speech.
Click here click here click here click here click here speech essay spm sample speech/talk – spm writingspeech/talk how to write a speech here are some. Professional academic help starting at $799 per pageorder is too expensive split your payment apart - sample of speech essay spm. Browse and read spm speech essay sample spm speech essay sample inevitably, reading is one of the requirements to be undergone to improve the performance and quality. Download and read spm speech essay sample spm speech essay sample in this age of modern era, the use of internet must be maximized this book model can be.
- Browse and read spm speech essay sample spm speech essay sample find the secret to improve the quality of life by reading this spm speech essay sample.
- Example uk creative writing past papers in a new role of model spm essay helping us understand the present state planet earth and that makes it harder.
- Truly speech essay spm years of growth and development of essay speech ideas in the mind at the thought of such a momentous first, not much that is different from.
Browse and read spm speech essay sample spm speech essay sample excellent book is always being the best friend for spending little time in your office, night time. 46 model essay samples for spm english, o-level, ielts, toefl muet writing preparing for the upcoming muet writing test and want to read some good essay examples. Speech essay spm weeks personal experience essays song of solomon essay writing articles essays about warming global essay topics best college admission essay kindly.
Rated 3/5 based on 43 review
Speech model essays spm, 46 model essay samples for spm english, o-level, ielts, toefl & muet writing preparing for the upcoming muet writing test and want to read some good essay examples.